AN OFFICE TREND FOR THE MILLENNIUM
What are the best open plan systems for your office?
Earlier this year, a survey by Forbes revealed that approximately 70% of U.S. professionals are currently working in open plan offices. In March, Facebook’s 10-acre campus (designed by none other than Frank Gehry) was reported to soon be the largest open plan office in the world, and is expected to house a jaw-dropping staff of 3,400. While we may not all have the same whopping number of employees, we can still certainly enjoy the benefits that have popularized this ever-growing trend, as we survey some of the best open plan systems and their benefits at the office.
BENEFITS OF AN OPEN PLAN OFFICE
- INCREASES OFFICE COLLABORATION: An open plan office promotes the sharing of ideas among workers and teams of employees. When employees work in a shared space, they are more likely to ask for the input and opinions of their peers, naturally creating a synergistic flow of interaction and exchange of thoughts and ideas. This environment, when positively nurtured, can spur inspiration and creativity among fellow empl0yees.
- STRENGTHENS EMPLOYEE RELATIONSHIPS: Increased interaction with peers and colleagues, though not always perfect, allows for a more open and therefore better line of communication. While a “do not disturb” policy may need to be initiated here and there when concentration is necessary, an open plan office facilitates a sense of camaraderie among those sharing the office space, instead of alienating individuals in traditional cubicles.
- EMPLOYEES ARE HEALTHIER AND HAPPIER: Isolated individuals in small enclosed spaces oftentimes are found seated all day hunched over computer screens. This sedentary position can lead to serious health risks including heart disease and diabetes, as several studies have shown over the years. Open plan spaces promotes interaction and encourage workers to stand up from time to time to move around more often. Also, open plan arrangements incorporate more use of more natural light from windows, and allow for better air quality through increased air flow. Employees are able to enjoy a space that’s more motivating, stimulating and aesthetically pleasing.
- LOWERED COSTS: With an open plan office, there are less rooms, walls and private spaces to build, does reducing construction costs and significantly helping the company save money. Open plan spaces also allow for more employees to work within one designated space, and are more economical with electricity, air-conditioning and heat.
- FUTURE FLEXIBILITY: Office walls and private office structures get in the way when a company undergoes change. An open plan space can be configured and re-configured much more easily, time and time again, allowing for a company to evolve more quickly and cost-effectively.
THE BEST OPEN PLAN SYSTEMS
From some of the most trusted brands in the business, and ranging in functionality, versatility, styles, and price points — here are the some of the best open plan systems that may just be the right fit for your office.
OPEN PLAN SYSTEMS XPAND
XPAND by Open Plan Systems welcomes you to the modern office, with a robust benching system of height adjustable tables that can be configured to meet your business needs. (More Info/Request a Quote)
MAVERICK DESK APEX
APEX by Maverick Desk adapts to various activities of groups and individuals within your workplace, creating an environment that is conducive to office productivity, efficiency and well-being. (More Info/Request a Quote)
OFS ELEVEN WORKSPACE
ELEVEN WORKSPACE by OFS is a Best of NeoCon Gold Award winner by Swiss architect and designer Daniel Korb, who developed ELEVEN around a fundamental concept: “Furniture is Architecture on a Different Scale.” (More Info/Request a Quote)
X-BENCH by ODS presents an advanced open plan benching solution that’s designed to meet a wide range of office applications – from collaborative open spaces to single private offices. (More Info/Request a Quote)
VERITY by Friant creates defined spaces to support the various types of work interactions for a coordinated look across the office. (More Info/Request a Quote)
SCALE: 1:1 G SERIES
G SERIES by Scale 1:1 is a modern shared workstation that’s all about connectivity and collaboration. Designed with flexibility and movement in mind, sharing ideas among workers has never been more dynamic, promoting team learning and productivity. (More Info/Request a Quote)
VOI by HON presents a distinctive blend of style and functionality in a casegoods system that’s architecturally striking as it is soundly built. Combining durable steel with solid and wood grain laminates, along with cutting edge, high quality materials, VOI gives you the freedom to easily select from various shapes, sizes, configurations, storage components, laminates and finish options to design your perfect workspace. (More Info/Request a Quote)
ORB by Senator breaks all the rules with its innovative 360 degree design, offering a more intuitive way of working. (More Info/Request a Quote)