The Quest for Office Wellness
Office wellness often focuses on how well we are physically. But it’s important to remember the importance of how well we also are mentally. An effective holistic effort that sheds light on how clearly we think and make decisions is a skill that’s known as executive function. It’s how well we plan, concentrate, and handle different tasks that get thrown our way during a typical working day. An office space that is planned well contributes to a higher level of executive function than a space that’s cluttered. Read on for easy-to-implement ideas to keep the mind working at an optimal level.
Being aware of what slows us down mentally is an important aspect of office wellness. Social media, news topics of the day and office gossip are distractions that can bog down a worker. Family stress, low morale at work, and poor health also bring employees down. We can often see if someone is physically sick or if they’re hurting. However, mental wellness is a different matter. It’s impossible to read the mind, emotions and mental wellness of a person. This is where executive functioning comes into play. It’s the brain’s way of practicing concentration, tackling priorities, and helps prevent eventual burnout. To optimize executive function in the workplace, make sure to:
- Keep workspaces clutter free with combined desk and storage solutions.
- Maximize communication and workflow between departments.
- Provide forums for asking questions on important topics.
- Encourage employees who are struggling in their personal lives to seek outside counseling from a faith community or clinician. Health providers may also offer counseling services.
In Southern California, there are various schools of psychology with graduate students needing to earn hours. They usually provide counseling at greatly reduced rates while working under the guidance of fully licensed therapists. Consider hiring grad students for your staff to maintain office wellness.
Meetings have a remarkable way of taking energy among a team and depleting it. To channel energy effectively and efficiently in meetings and maintain a positive vibe, make sure to:
- Keep group meetings or one-on-one sessions on point and as brief as possible.
- Make sure the setup of conference tables and chairs is spacious or use a more relaxed lounge seating arrangement.
- Don’t lay blame on someone in front of others or spring tough topics on people.
- Ask for input to gauge reasons for negative data like missed sales numbers.
- Schedule ahead for a monthly birthday celebration or milestone moment.
- Provide comfortable areas where people can linger and chat away from desks and workstations.
Creative Down Time
Ask your staff what inspires them – a book, movie, or a simple experience like a walk they took recently. Maybe it’s cooking or playing sports. Focusing on down time with your staff definitely has it benefits. It contributes to optimum executive function and office wellness. Consider:
- Once a quarter try to schedule in an inspiring activity that builds up the team.
- Offer a cooking class, a beach trip or museum outing to a place like the Getty Museum or the Huntington Library and Gardens.
- If goals are met and work is done well, create a certificate for the individual to take off a couple of hours and do something of their choosing nearby.
- Turn a workstation or lounge area into an Idea Center. Allow people to post notes there on how they get through challenging times at the office or home. Invite them to submit problem-solving ideas for the company.
Design for Office Wellness
Everyone can benefit from a holistic approach to office wellness. Planning the office space and using quality furniture is important in creating a pleasant and productive atmosphere. If you are interested in designing your office to promote executive function, please don’t hesitate to ask us for help. Our office furniture experts are here to guide you and help you every step of the way.
Read Also: Staying Productive with an Effort for Holistic Office Wellness
Main Photo: OFS Brands Yelly Table
Resources & Special Thanks to Respective Product Manufacturers: OFS Brands, Storyblocks