The collaborative office space is a growing trend in today’s modern workspaces, with its importance and popularity gaining much momentum especially after the Covid-19 pandemic. These spaces are designed to foster teamwork, communication, and creativity among employees.
What is a Collaborative Space?
What is the collaborative space definition? Collaborative office spaces are specially designed areas where individuals can come together, share ideas, and work towards a common goal. In this article, we will discuss the benefits of collaborative spaces, the type of office furniture needed, and why it’s important to have in the office, especially after Covid.
Photo: Arcadia TOOtheLOUNGE Seating
Both Arcadia TOOaPICNIC and TOOtheLOUNGE Seating can provide great setups for a collaborative area. Their innovative booth-like designs and built-in worksurface tables offer a haven for small groups to share ideas and work, while minting some quiet and privacy.
Photo: Arcadia TOOaPICNIC Lounge Seating
Benefits of the Collaborative Office Space
Collaborative spaces provide numerous benefits to employees and the organization as a whole. These benefits include increased creativity, enhanced communication, heightened productivity and improved employee satisfaction.
Inspire Company Creativity
A great advantage of offering a collaborative office space to your employees is having a designated area for them to brainstorm, exchange information and share ideas. This cultivates creativity and innovation, which then leads to developing new products and services.
Collaborative Office Interiors that Spark Communication
A collaborative workspace helps to break down communication barriers and encourage employees to share their thoughts and ideas openly. This leads to better communication among team members and helps to build strong relationships.
Photo: OFS Lotive Tables
The Lotive Table from OFS is efficient and streamlined, light enough to transport anywhere. With many whimsical colors available, workers can easily have their own individual Lotive Table set up in front of them as they work together in groups.
Heighten Office Productivity
Setting up a collaborative area with the appropriate collaborative office furniture can provide a conducive environment for employees to work together towards a common goal. This leads to increased productivity and better performance.
Achieve Improved Employee Satisfaction
Smart space planning and the right furniture selection are important. A comfortable, well-thought out collaborative office layout can help to create a sense of community among employees, leading to improved job satisfaction and engagement.
Photo: Loftwall Rooms Wall System
Loftwall Rooms Wall System can help carve out spaces in your office, to designate areas for collaboration. With three space models available and nine standard typicals to choose from, you can configure a set up that’s as private or open as you need it to be.
Collaborative Office Furniture
The type of collaborative office furniture needed in a collaborative office space depends on the type of activity that will be taking place in the space. When planning a collaborative office design, some common furniture items that must be considered include:
1. Office Seating: A collaborative office space design require comfortable seating that can accommodate different people and activities. Seating options may include lounge chairs, sofas, and benches.
2. Office Tables: These spaces require tables that can accommodate different types of collaborative work activities. Tables may include occasional or cafe tables, standing tables, and conference tables.
3. Office Storage: A collaborative office space design requires storage options for items such as books, files, and equipment. Storage options may include shelves, cabinets, and drawers.
4. Office Accessories and Technology: Collaborative spaces require accessories and technology that can support collaborative work activities. This may include large screens, video conferencing equipment, and whiteboards.
Photo: Scale 1:1 MonoLink Space Divider
Scale 1:1 Marc Marker Board and MonoLink Space Divider are great for brainstorming and sharing ideas, as well as providing separation and privacy. While the Catalina Work Island from DeskMakers offer a collaborative worksurface with built in storage below. Its also on wheels for quick impromptu meetings, and can be moved easily from room to room.
Photo: DeskMakers Catalina Work Island
Importance of Collaborative Spaces After Covid
The Covid-19 pandemic has changed the way we work and interact with each other. As we continue to adjust to the new normal, appropriate covid office furniture in collaborative space design has become more important than ever. Some important reasons for collaborative covid office solutions are: to address ongoing office social distancing that still exist in some offices; improve office flexibility to support remote or work-from-home workers; promote mental health; and inspire company growth and innovation. Enwork’s Skyline Screen allows social distancing at work while meeting with others by providing clear barricades to be set up on table tops.
1. Social Distancing: With the need for social distancing in some businesses still existing, a specially designed collaborative office space provides a safe environment where employees can work together while maintaining a safe distance.
2. Flexibility: Collaborative spaces provide flexibility in terms of work arrangements. With remote work becoming more common, these spaces provide a space where employees can come together and work on projects when needed.
3. Mental Health: Provide an environment where employees can interact with each other and build relationships. Collaborative spaces help to promote mental health and wellbeing, especially during times of stress and uncertainty, as well as ongoing remote work that typically isolate employees.
4. Innovation: Collaborative spaces provide an environment where employees can come together and share ideas. Oftentimes, it’s the act of interaction and collaboration among peers and colleagues that help spark new discoveries. This leads to innovation and the development of new products and services.
Photo: Rouillard Coast Media Table
The Rouillard Coast Media Table provides a flexible and informal collaborative office setup, perfect for video-conferencing and brainstorming with others. Available in 3 sizes and multiple finishes, you can customize its fabric and colors to match any style. Enjoy its high-quality sound-absorbing properties for great acoustics, and wire management for instant connectivity.
Designing Your Collaborative Office Interiors
Collaborative spaces have become an essential part of modern offices, providing numerous benefits to employees and the organization as a whole. Remember that the collaborative office layout you design, along with the collaborative space furniture you choose, are critical in creating an office space that doesn’t only look attractive and pleasing—but one that works!
Need Collaborative Space Ideas?
As we continue to adjust to the new normal, the collaborative office space has become more important than ever, providing a safe environment, flexibility, mental health benefits, and opportunities for innovation. If you need collaborative space ideas and guidance, the experts at 2010 Office Furniture can help—with more than a combined half-century of working with clients who are among Southern California’s largest corporations, nonprofit organizations, and robust small businesses.
Contact them with your space planning and furnishing needs, to make your office workspace not only more functional, but a desirable place to work.
Read Also: Design and Plan Your Office for Collaboration and Inspiration
Main Photo: SitOnIt Seating Collaboration Setup
Resources & Special Thanks to Respective Product Manufacturers: Arcadia, DeskMakers, OFS, Rouillard, Scale 1:1 & SitOnIt Seating